It is an absolute must for everyone who is visiting Dhofar, that you visit Ar Rub Al Khali (The Empty Quarter), Dhofars most remarkable and popular site with its untouched and magical sand dunes. We recommend it highly and you will take an unforgettable memory to share with your family and friends back home.
Start the tour from your hotel in the afternoon. After having a small break in Thumrait town, which was famous as a Bedouin settlement, proceed west on graded road crossing the huge gravel desert of ‘Al Nejd’.
Arriving the sand desert in Al Hashman, where the sand dunes emerge more picturesque and more spectacular, our experienced driver will drive up the hills in the most thrilling and exciting manner to show you an example of driving with force in the sand popularly known as Dune Bashing. In Rub Al Khali, enjoy the exciting and thrilling driving tactics in the fine sand of Arabian Desert.
Enjoy a beautiful sunset over the sand dunes before you reach our camp site. Arabian Coffee and traditional dates are also served on arrival at the camp. Later you will be served a delicious dinner and Shisha (the Arabic water pipe).
After the breakfast, served at the camp on the next day, proceed to the ‘Lost City of Ubar’ (UNESCO World heritage site). This legendary ancient kingdom, known as Ubar, was said to have existed in one of the most inhospitable places on earth – a vast and forbidding Rub Al Khali desert, appropriately known as the Empty Quarter. According to myth, the desert swallowed up Ubar. Quite literally, it sank without trace -becoming the fabled “Atlantis of the Sands.” This once buried city, which was spotted by satellite, gives you a glimpse of the value of work carried out by a team of explorers in 1982, led by Sir Ranulph Fiennes.
Drive into Wadi ‘Dawka’ (UNESCO World heritage site), known as the ‘Frankincense Wadi’, which is also well-known as the biggest collection of the naturally grown Frankincense trees in the region. Experience the Frankincense and its use in the past as well as in the modern World.
Return to Salalah by noon.
Overnight Camping in the Empty Quarter
Tour code: AFT03
Duration: 2 Days 1 Night
Distance: 240km one way
Route: Salalah – Thumrait – Shisr – Hashman – Shisr – Thumrait – Salalah
- Lost City of Ubar
- Sunset over the Rub Al Khali desert
- Overnight in the desert
- Dune bashing
- Wadi Dawka & Frankincense trees.
- Visits to the places of interest as per the program
- Air conditioned 4×4 Vehicle with English speaking Driver cum Guide.
- Overnight stay at the camp site including 2x meals. (Dinner & Breakfast)
- Still drinking water on Board
Following are not included in the Service:
- Beverages other than water (with an exception at the camp site)
- Tips and Gratuities
- Expenses of personal nature
- This tour involves walking over rough and inclined ground
- Stay overnight in simple Tents at the camp
- Guests should wear comfortable cloths and avoid jewelry or expensive watch and cell phones as there is no signal at the camps.
- No Entry Fees required at the places of visits
- This tour can be extended to overnight camping with 2 or 3 nights
- This tour is not suitable for those with injuries or physical challenges, which may be affected by the bumpy ride. Pregnant women and children under 12 may not participate.