Start the tour in the morning hours by 4×4 vehicle and drive towards the ‘Qara’ mountain range with its spectacular view of the Salalah plains dotted with thick shrub & woodland.
After having a small break in Thumrait town, which was famous as a Bedouin settlement, proceed west on graded road crossing the huge gravel desert of ‘ Al Nejd’.
Visit the ‘Lost City of Ubar’ (UNESCO World heritage site), 175km away from Salalah. This legendary ancient kingdom, known as Ubar, was said to have existed in one of the most inhospitable places on earth – a vast and forbidding Rub Al Khali desert, appropriately known as the Empty Quarter. According to myth, the desert swallowed up Ubar. Quite literally, it sank without trace -becoming the fabled “Atlantis of the Sands.” This once buried city, which was spotted by satellite, gives you a glimpse of the value of work carried out by a team of explorers in 1992, led by Sir Ranulph Fiennes.
After walking around the site proceed to the Empty Quarter to experience the “biggest sand desert in the World” by rambling on fascinating sand dunes. A breathtaking overview of the vast desert awaits you on the top of the dunes.
On the way back to Salalah, drive into Wadi ‘Dawka’ (UNESCO World heritage site) known as the ‘Frankincense Wadi’, which is also well-known as the biggest collection of the naturally grown Frankincense trees in the region. Experience the Frankincense and its use in the past as well as in the modern World.
Return to Salalah by sunset.
A Full day desert Safari to the Empty Quarter and lost city of Ubar by 4×4 vehicles
Tour Code: AFT02
Duration: ca. 9 hrs.
Route: ca. 190km one way
Salalah – Thumrait – Shisr – Rub Al Khali – Shisr – Thumrait – Salalah
- Lost City of Ubar
- Wadi Dawka & Frankincense trees.
- Sand Dunes of the Rub Al Khali desert
- Visits to the places of interest as per the program
- Air conditioned 4×4 Vehicle with English speaking Driver cum Guide.
- Still drinking water on Board
Following are not included in the Service:
- Beverages other than water
- Tips and Gratuities
- Expenses of personal nature such as telephone calls etc.
- This tour involves walking over rough and inclined ground
- Toilet facilities available are simple
- Guests should wear comfortable cloths and avoid jewelry or expensive watch and cell phones as there is no signal at the camp/ desert.
- No Entry Fees required at the places of visits
- Maximum number of Pax in a vehicle should be 4, due to the safety regulations
- This tour is not suitable for those with injuries or conditions, which may be affected by the bumpy ride. Pregnant women and children under 12 may not participate